I. Unique Geographic Location
- Overlook the 17.28 million square kilometers (more than 8 million square kilometers of land areas) of North-East Asia, and you will find that the center is Siping, extending to the Bohai Sea Economic Rim to the south, Russia to the north, the Korean Peninsula to the east, and Mongolia to the west.
-- Covering the three provinces and regions of Liaoning, Jilin and Inner Mongolia, Siping is at the junction, reaching large areas of Heilongjiang, Jilin and Liaoning provinces of northeast China and Inner Mongolia to the east, covering land areas of 1.24 million square kilometers, accounting for 12.9% of the total land area of China. Its population totals 107 million.
- As far as the communications and transportation network in northeast China is concerned, an important hub is found in Siping, which connects the new Eurasian Continental Bridge. The Siping railway station is one of the 18 large marshalling yards nationwide. The Jing-Ha, Ping-Qi and Si-Mei railways intersect in the city. The Ha-Da high-speed passenger railway will be open to traffic in 2011. The expressways from Tongjiang of Heilongjiang Province to Sanya of Hainan Province, from Daqing to Guangzhou, and from Changchun to Shenzhen, and national and provincial highways runs through the city from in all the directions. Siping is 550 km from the Dalian international shipping center, and it is only a little over one-hour’s drive to Changchun Longjia and Shenyang Taoxian international airports. The Siping local military and civilian dual-use airport is about to open domestic flights.
- Siping borders Shenyang and Dalian to the south, Changchun and Harbin to the north. Relying on these big cities will facilitate its participation in the work division in the production chain extensions and expand the industry in a substantial way. The regions involved have high population density, market potential, short transport radius, low transport cost, and abundance of raw materials required for manufacturing. The Siping Northeast Asia Logistics Port Project is stepping up its construction. Its unique geographical location is bringing more and more popularity from strategic investors and businesses to Siping.
II. Abundant Elements
- A large stock of land resources. The new round of revised planning for overall urban development has expand the Siping urban area from 51.6 square kilometers to 121 square kilometers, and the incremental land and reserved land can meet the demands for new projects. The land price is at a low level among the 41 cities in northeast China.
- Abundant fresh water resources. There are four major rivers and 16 mid-sized and large reservoirs inside Siping. The Erlong Lake water channeling project can supply 200000 tons of water a day, and the project to channel water from the Songhua Lake into Siping is about to be launched.
- Adequate electric power supply. The total installed capacity of the Siping Thermal Power Plant and the Shuangliao Power Plant reaches 3.2 million kilowatts. The Siping power grid has 26 power transmission lines of 220 kilovolt with 7 substations and 66 power transmission lines of 66 kv with 78 substations. The power supply reliability reaches 99.9%.
- High guarantee of natural gas supply. The gas sources reserves in Siping is nearly 40 billion cubic meters. The designed gas supply to the urban areas is 200,000 cubic meters per day. The natural gas works can meet the demand for integrated utilization of gas for urban residents and industries.
- Complete railway transport capacity and facilities. There are 28 specialized industrial railways in Siping urban areas, and the total length is nearly one hundred kilometers.
- Complete communication facilities. The telecommunication networks cover every corner of the city.
- Strong financial services. Siping has 11 financial institutions such as policy banks, joint-stock commercial banks, local banks and other financial institutions with 288 branches. The deposits and loans are huge. They keep innovating financial products and services to provide financial support for corporate development. The Insurance services spread all over the urban and rural areas, providing quality insurance services for all walks of life.
III. Rich Resources
- Located in the world's second largest gold corn belt, Siping is China’s major commodity grain production base with obvious advantages in corn, rice, soybean, peanut and other crops. The amount of commodity grain ranks among the top 5 of the prefecture-level cities in China. The Lishu irrigation area was started in the Japanese-occupation period, and it is one of the four big irrigation areas in northeast China.
- Adjacent to the Kerqin Grasslands in Inner Mongolia to the west. Siping’s livestock production capacity accounts for more than a quarter of the total livestock production capacity of Jilin Province. The comprehensive output of pigs, cattle, sheep, stuffed ducks, and white geese accounts for about 10% of the total output of northeast China.
- Rolling Changbai Mountains in the east is a natural base for developing medicinal herbs and deer. It also teems with grapes, red berries, ginseng, deer antlers, beets, mushrooms and wild herbs of excellent quality and enormous quantity.
- Rich mineral resources. There are 54 kinds of minerals found, and 23 of them have proven reserves. The reserves of silica sand, one of the four famous sands in the world, are 100 million tons. It is high-grade raw materials for making glass. The reserves of sodium bentonite are more than 20 million tons, and its quality is comparable to the bentonite in Wyoming, U.S.A. The reserves of silver are 1,100 tons, ranking first in Asia. The proved reserves of oil are 570 million tons. There are reserves of 40 billion cubic meters of natural gas and 31 million tons of lignite. Siping has huge geothermal reserves with bright development prospects.
IV. Talents Cluster
- Siping has 12 independent research institutes, 14 universities and colleges, 27 secondary technical schools and 68 vocational schools. It has Jilin Academy of Agricultural Sciences, Jilin Normal University, Jilin Institute of Agricultural Engineering and Siping Institute of Science and Technology Research. They have formed complete systems for personnel education, training and development.
- Siping has rich labor resources with obvious advantages. The proportion of skilled workers in the city is at a high level in city clusters in northeast China. The labor force is in a period positive dividend, and the labor costs are relatively low. There are a large number of high-quality industrial workers to meet all business needs.
- A large number of professionals support and complement one another. It is a gathering place for talents in scientific research, engineering, survey and design, management, consulting services, etc. They all have strong collaboration capabilities in various industries and fields.
V. Agreeable Living Environment
- Four distinct seasons. Siping has good ecological environment. Poplars and willows become green in early spring; flowers bloom in mid-summer; trees seem dyed in late autumn; everything is clad in silvery white in winter. The urban sewage treatment of with daily processing capacity of 90,000 tons of sewage is running in compliance with standards. The power generation plant with garbage of 2 × 500 tons / day as the fuel is in operation. The urban air quality reaches grade 3. The city's green coverage rate is 36.3%. Good days amount to 293 days in one year.
- A long history. As early as the Warring States era, the ancient city of Yan State was built here. Siping has multiple existing relics and ruins of the Liao and Jin periods. The Yehe Manchurian Town is a famous historical and cultural town in China. It is the birthplace of Empress Xiao Cigao of the Qing Dynasty and the native place of Empress Cixi and Empress Longyu. “Li Liangui Bacon Pancake”, a famous snack in China, is known throughout the world.
- Profound culture. The Yitong Manchurian Autonomous County is an important birthplace of the Manchu, and Shaman is listed as a World Intangible Cultural Heritage. Siping has unique Guandong culture. It is also one of the major origins of the art of “Singing-Dancing Duet”.
- Advanced education. Siping has popularized universal nine-year compulsory education. Its primary and secondary experience education has been listed as a key study subject in China. It is vigorously developing senior high school education. In urban areas, the per student space and construction area both rank first in Jilin Province. The rate of college admission through the college entrance examination ranks first in Jilin Province as well.
- Advanced medical care. Siping’s medical care standards are at the front of the Province. The Siping Central Hospital is a Class-A of the tertiary level medical center and a large hospital in the region. Its service scope covers some areas in Liaoning and Inner Mongolia. The medical area level of the Jilin Province Brain Hospital is leading in China.
- Plain and sincere folk customs. Siping has unique geographical features and human traits of northeast China, which has given the Siping people such good characters as plain, open-minded, hospitable, honest and trustworthy, and forged the Siping spirits of "overcoming difficulties to seek wealth and prosperity".
- Great scenery. Siping has two national scenic areas. The Shanmen National Volcanic Park has spectacular scenery, and it is the best place for landscape painting and photography. The Yitong Qixing Mountain national volcanic cluster is a nature reserve with unique landscapes of seven stars landing on the ground. The heroic history of the "Four Battles in Siping" has turned the city into the No. 1 leg among the 26--th red tourism route in China.
VI. High-end Gathering
- With the growth of the Republic, Siping has become an emerging industrial city with key inputs from the state. Eight ministries and commissions, such as the Ministry of Construction, the Ministry of Machinery Industry, the Ministry of Water Resources and Electric Power, the Ministry of Chemical Industry, the Ministry of Metallurgical Industry, etc. have set up important production enterprises. China’s first self-propelled harvester was born here, which is printed on the Chinese RMB. The buses bearing the name of Siping were the earliest to travel in Beijing.
- Through years of development, Siping has formed complete industrial systems with machine manufacturing and green agricultural products deep processing as the leading industries, energy, metallurgy, chemicals, building materials, medicine, light industry and electronics being dominant industries, high technology and modern logistics as emerging industries. All this has provided a platform for high-end enterprises to enter Siping for low-cost expansions.
- Since the reform and opening up, Siping, with its unique geographical advantages and strong industrial bases, has gathered more than 20 domestic and foreign top-500 enterprises, such as the Cheung Kong Group of Hong Kong, the Guodian Group of China, the Haohua Group of China, the Shougang Group of Beijing, the Jinyu Group of Beijing, the First Tractor Group of China, etc. Many enterprises affiliated to the central government and well-known large corporations have entered Siping.
Focus on scientific development. In the future, Siping will mainly channel in low-carbon and environment-friendly projects, energy saving projects, technologically advanced projects, international and domestic famous brand-name projects, and resource efficient development and utilization projects. Siping will provide a series of preferential policies and first-class service in terms of reducing investment costs, building financial platforms, facilitating corporate growth.